The owner and customers of a beauty salon have been fined after police found it was being used during lockdown.
Euphoria Tanning Hair and Beauty had been operating despite Welsh Government coronavirus regulations requiring non-essential businesses to remain closed.
CCTV captured eight people running away from the back of the salon in Cwmbran, South Wales, after officers tried to gain entry on Saturday January 16.
Gwent Police said: “Officers attended and saw people entering through the front door. Those inside did not respond to police requests to open the door.
“On gaining entry, officers found evidence which showed tanning beds in recent use and beauty treatments taking place.
“CCTV footage shows eight people running from the premise out of the fire exit.”
The owner of the salon has been fined £1,000 for failing to close a business or service premises not permitted to be open in an Alert Level 4 area of Wales. It is the second time it has been issued with a fixed penalty notice.
Three customers also received fixed penalty notices for attending the salon, with inquiries ongoing to identify the others.
Inspector for the Torfaen area, Aled George, said: “This was a blatant breach of Covid-19 regulations. Businesses who flout the regulations are behaving irresponsibly and putting the lives of their customers, staff and the wider community at risk.
“As this incident shows, we – together with our partners from Torfaen Council – will take action to keep the public safe. We will continue to take enforcement action against businesses and the public who breach Covid regulations.
“We understand this is a really difficult time for our communities – the majority of businesses and residents are doing the right thing by adhering to Welsh Government regulations and we would like to thank them for their support.”
Mandy Owen, executive member for the environment at Torfaen Council, said: “After reports of the tanning salon operating illegally, visits to the business have been undertaken by Gwent Police and the council’s Covid enforcement officers.
“It’s clear from the camera footage obtained following the latest visit that the business and customers were aware they were breaking lockdown restrictions, putting themselves, others and the NHS at risk.
“Covid is still circulating in the borough and everyone knows it thrives on close contact, so it was highly irresponsible of the business owner and customers to continue visiting the salon.
“This is the second time the business has been issued with a fixed penalty notice. Public protection officers issued the first fixed penalty notice in June 2020. This is very disappointing.
“The vast majority of businesses have put measures in place to comply with the regulations, and are working really hard to keep their businesses running, whilst maintaining the safety of their staff and customers.
“We’d like to say thank you to all the businesses and residents who are doing the right thing and complying with the current lockdown.”