What is a capsule closet?
A capsule closet comprises only your most essential, useful and versatile pieces of clothing.
Fashion designer Shruti Sancheti believes its popularity can be attributed to the pandemic that has changed the way we shop, and the way we view fashion. “The pandemic has impacted our lifestyle, spending patterns and wardrobe choices. The emotionally and economically exhausted consumer is looking for a sustainable and meaningful approach to fashion and the crisply-curated wardrobe – comprising versatile pieces – has become the need of the hour. It’s a trend that’s pocket-friendly and sustainable. While editing down to a capsule closet, ensure the items are season-fluid, have a long-term relevance and are easy to maintain,” says Shruti
WHAT TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN CREATING A CAPSULE CLOSET:
1. Always invest in classic instead of fad fashion. Though expensive, these items can be worn repeatedly.
2. Buy pieces that fit your personality, profession and body type, instead of relying on trends.
3. Opt for colours that can be easily mixed and matched.
4. Focus on quality over quantity.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR CLOSET:
1. A well-fitted denim in colours like blue, black or brown
2. A crisp white shirt
3. A pastel kurta set
4. A chiffon sari
5. A neutral coloured dress
6. A classic bag
7. A neutral pair of shoes
BUILDING A CAPSULE CLOSET FROM SCRATCH:
1. Start with your bottoms, and opt for base colours like black and navy blue
2. Add shirts, blouses and tees in neutral shades like beige, white, and gray
3. Follow this up with accent shades like mint green, lilac, pink, and turquoise to elevate your neutral clothing
4. Add patterns, like printed skirts, dresses and scarves, and layers like coats and blazers that can help change the look for your outfit
5. Opt for footwear in neutral shades like beige and black that go with every outfit
(Fashion designer Kajal Sharma)