Today, 711 E. Mulberry St. still stands proudly. Built almost 100 years ago, it has served and continues to serve its neighborhood faithfully. Chester Guy Armstrong is the man to thank for its establishment.
C. Guy Armstrong was born in Hocking County in 1892, to George Judson and Laura Armstrong. C. Guy married Hazel Heffner in 1912 and their son Raymond was born in 1915.
C. Guy worked as a truckman for the Pennsylvania Railroad until he purchased the grocery stock of Edward Baus at the corner of Maple and Walnut Streets. He took charge of the grocery (15 March 1919 Daily Eagle) and launched his career as a grocer.
Hazel Armstrong (1893-1920) died at 27 years of age. C. Guy married Margaret Shonting in 1921, and purchased the house on the NE corner of Madison and Mulberry Streets, 300 Madison, for $3350 from the widow of Shelton Matthew. Shelton, a glass blower, his wife Teresa and their two sons were living there when the 1900 U.S. Census was taken.
Armstrong announced in 1925 he was erecting a 28 by 40 foot building at the back/east end of his lot along the alley. He would occupy the new building as a grocery and meat market. “Opens Grocery Store Saturday,” was the announcement on 25 Nov. 1925 in the Daily Eagle. Armstrong was offering “a complete stock of groceries, meats and vegetables,” and would offer free truck service to all parts of the city. Armstrong’s Market faced Mulberry St. with 705 as its first house number and later 711 E. Mulberry.
Six years later the Daily Eagle (25 Nov. 1931) reported Armstrong had “repainted and redecorated the entire building occupied by the store and flats above. Ivory is the basic color, with exterior buff trim and the interior varied with green and black. The Armstrong Market is one of Lancaster’s larger independent food stores…”
After 19 years, Armstrong sold the grocery to James W. Mast in 1944. Mast retired and sold the store to William Fisher in 1950. The Fisher Food Market was sold in 1951 to Robert McInturf and became “Bob’s Market.” The grocery store years came to an end in 1961 when Gus and Fred Wright held a grand opening on Sept. 21 for The Ice Cream Bowl. They offered “Lancaster’s Largest Sundae – A Meal in a Bowl,” as well as soups, sandwiches, fountain service, and hand-dipped chocolates. By 1963 however, The Ice Cream Bowl was for sale, and the building was taken in a new direction.
Downtown on Main St., the new Manson’s store opened a beauty salon in Feb. 1963 with Mrs. Catherine Thrush as manager. About 18 months later, Mrs. Thrush and Jhon Allard (Mr. Jhon), one of her beauticians, opened a new salon at 711 E. Mulberry St. This move opened a new chapter in the history of 711 E. Mulberry…and it continues yet today.
Metta’s Pamper Salon, owned by Mrs. Metta Primovic, opened her shop at this location in 1970. Larry Garlinger, owner of Coat of Arms Barber & Styling Salon, purchased 711 E. Mulberry in 1975 from Primovic, and it became Coat of Arms Women’s Hair Designs. By 1985 it was Rocky’s Coat of Arms (A. Rocky & Connie Evans). The property (beauty salon and two bedroom apartment) went up for sale in 1995 but apparently did not sell.
Connie Evans sold 711 E. Mulberry to Mary K. Liptak in Nov. 2019. Liptak established Shire Hair Design LLC in August of 2020. Thanks to her investment in the neighborhood and community, C. Guy Armstrong’s investment lives on.
Readers may contact Harvey at [email protected]