12/06/2024 2:13 PM


Crackle Fashion

Beauty salon owner’s patch test warning after her eyebrows fell off in clumps

A beauty salon owner is warning of the dangers of skipping a patch test after her eyebrows dropped off in clumps.

Doctors warned Jes Dean, 30, that she could have been left blind if she hadn’t sought medical attention after reacting to a home kit.

She said she was left with ‘crusty caterpillars’ and a swollen face oozing liquid after skipping the test.

The mum is now encouraging others to always follow the order to carry out one so they are not at risk.

Jes, from Leeds, West Yorkshire, said: “Four days after I did my eyebrows I woke up and all my head, eyelids and eyebrows were swollen – I felt absolutely awful.

Beauty lovers have been urged to always carry out patch tests

“The following day my eyebrows were weeping a lot, it felt tight on my head and I felt really, really run down.

“It was horrendous looking at myself in the mirror. It just didn’t look like me, it was like my face was deformed.

“My eyebrows are matted around the scabs and they’re sticking out in different directions. The crusty matted caterpillar look wasn’t one I was going for.

“I can feel the scabs want to come off but they’re pulling all my eyebrow hairs out with it.

“I’m trying my hardest not to touch it and I’m using pure aloe jelly on it. I think I’m going to be left with hardly any eyebrows at all after this.”

Jes is urging others to be careful after her brows fell out in clumps

The beautician said she thought would be fine to use a tiny amount of Eylure Dybrow permanent tint for brows without a test.

Jes, who is mum to Jaiden Dean, 13, Marlee Dean, nine, and three-year-old Logan Dean, said: “I’m really allergic to hair dye.

“When I was younger my friend dyed my hair and my face swelled up and it burnt all my scalp, it was horrific so I’ve always kind of stayed away.

“But then I just thought ‘oh it’s only a little tiny bit of tint’ I didn’t even leave it on for the recommended amount of time it was literally two minutes.

“I cleaned the area and then put on literally the tiniest little bit onto my eyebrows and two minutes later I wiped it off and that was it.

“It came up in little tiny bumps and was a tiny little bit itchy but nothing major.

The product used by mum Jes

“For some reason, I just thought I’d be fine but I wasn’t, it was completely irresponsible and stupid.

“Days later, that’s when it got really, really bad.”

After using the tint on April 30, Jes said she woke up with a grossly swollen face on May 5- leaving her requiring urgent medical help.

After speaking to 111, she was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance over concern that her symptoms were worsening.

There she was assessed and prescribed steroids, antibiotics and antihistamines and sent home to heal.

Now she has watched in horror as her matted eyebrows clump together with the ‘thick and crusty’ scabs and drop off – leaving her concerned they may not grow back.

Eylure said they always state on their packaging that a patch test must be carried out 48-72 hours prior to any form of dye application, even if ‘you are a regular user and have previously patch tested’.

Describing the ordeal, Jes said: “I didn’t get out of bed for three days, I slept on and off in the dark away from any bright lights or noise.

“I just felt awful, I was drained of energy and I couldn’t really open my eyes and concentrate on anything.

“On Wednesday I rang the doctors as I wasn’t getting any better. My eyebrows started feeling hot and tight, they were weeping a lot and I just felt really, really run down.

“I had no energy and I felt really weird, not myself. My heart rate and temperature was raised and the worry was that any infection might leak into my eyes.

“They were weeping yellow and white liquid and I had thick scabs. It was crusty all around my eyebrows, it was awful.

“The surgery referred me to 111 and they said because it didn’t happen straight away and it was getting worse after such a long time that they needed to send an ambulance out that took me to A&E.

“There they gave me antibiotics, steroids and antihistamines and after a few hours I went home.”

Now slowly on the path to recovery, Jes is extremely self-conscious of how she looks and fears her eyebrows may fall out and never grow back.

Jes said: “I feel awful looking in the mirror seeing myself like this. I went out for lunch with the kids and two little children came up to me and said ‘what’s wrong with your eyebrows?’ I told them I burnt them, I was so self-conscious.

“When I went to A&E I ended up putting my face mask over my eyebrows because I didn’t want people to look at me, it’s just embarrassing and I should know better.”

The beautician is now urging everyone to always patch test before doing DIY eyebrow tints.

Jes said: “I wanted to share what happened to make people aware so they don’t go through what I have, it’s definitely not worth it.

“Since sharing this I’ve had so many people saying ‘oh now I realise the importance of doing patch tests’.

“I’m qualified, it’s what I do, I knew I’d have a reaction but I just did not expect this at all, especially as it was only on for two minutes.

“Don’t even take the risk of not doing a patch test as you could end up with no eyebrows.

“You can actually die from this, a serious allergic reaction is not something to be messed around with.

“At A&E they said I could have gone blind because it was so close to my eye, it’s just not worth it.”

An Eylure spokesman said: “We always advise that a patch test must be carried out 48-72 hours prior to any form of dye application as stated on our packaging, even if you are a regular user and have previously patch tested.”